Quick and Easy Chicken Soup
As we head into winter, it marks the beginning of the dreaded cold and flu season but this Quick and Easy Chicken Soup will fill you with goodness and ward off those germs before you know it. It is simple and nourishing, while making the most of leftovers. You can add any vegetables you have, add lots of chicken or just a little, use leftover chicken from a roast or simply fry up some diced chicken thigh to throw in at the end. This versatile recipe works with whatever you decide while still providing the nourishment we all need, that's the beauty of it!
- 1 inch knob of fresh ginger
- 1 inch knob of fresh turmeric
- 4-6 large cloves of garlic
- a handful of fresh herbs (flat-leaf parsley, thyme, sage, basil, whichever herbs you enjoy the flavour of!)
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, finely sliced
- 4 carrots, finely sliced
- 1.5 litre home-made chicken broth (or the equivalent in broth powder and filtered water)
- Changing Habits seaweed salt and pepper to taste
- 500g cooked chicken (leftover from making broth, a roast, freshly cooked...)
- Optional extra greens – small florets of broccoli, finely sliced bok choy, kale etc.
- Optional extra herbs for garnish
- Finely mince ginger, turmeric, onion and garlic; finely chop herbs, mix together in a bowl.
- Fry off half of the mixture in the bottom of a large saucepan with your choice of fat (ghee, coconut oil…) for a few minutes.
- Add in broth, and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add remaining ingredients except chicken and simmer another 10 mins.
- Add cooked chicken and simmer until warmed through. (Here you can add in the optional greens too!)
- Add remaining minced herbs, garlic, ginger, turmeric mixture, and stir through.
- Pour into bowls, and garnish with extra herbs if desired.