Surviving Christmas In Good Health
Christmas can be a daunting time for many people, for many different reasons.
Here are some great ideas to keep in mind during the silly season.
- Connection - Christmas can be a lonely time for many people. Weather they have lost loved ones or do not have good communication with them, it is important we think of those around us. Find out if anyone in your circle is spending Christmas alone and extend an invitation to celebrate together. Or consider volunteering at a charity, homeless shelter or nursing home on Christmas day. Lets look out for each other during the festive season, making connections is more important than the gifts we buy.
- Finances - Stick to a budget, buy local and do not overspend, sometimes the simplest ideas make the best gifts.
- Weight Gain - according to Nutrition Australia we gain on average 0.8-1.5kg over the Christmas period. Prevent weight gain by taking some simple mindful steps. Exercise regularly and avoid over consuming food and alcohol.
- Eat in season, wholefoods! Think about eating a rainbow and focus more on fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables than prepackaged chips and bakery treats.
- Prepare well for Christmas parties - Order protein and vegetables off the menu, avoid deep fried or highly processed carbohydrates.
- Alcohol - Hangovers really are not worth the pain and agony! Choose soda water and lime :)
- Sleep - The Christmas season can influence our sleeping patterns and schedules with catch ups and Christmas parties. Keep in mind the importance of a good sleep routine and avoid late nights of drinking. This will reduce stress and encourage you to unwind and relax.
Take Care and Enjoy yourself this Christmas season! x